We the members of the National Association for the Study of Religions and Education (NASRED) have resolved to give this constitution to enhance our commitment to global peace, justice, equality, cooperation and progress among all people.
ARTICLE 1: SUPREMACY OF THE CONSTITUTION.
That this constitution is supreme and its provisions shall be binding on all members irrespective of their status.
ARTICLE 2: NAME AND MOTTO
The Association shall be called THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE STUDY OF RELIGIONS AND EDUCATION.
- NAME: NASRED
- MOTTO OF THE ASSOCIATION: For Human Development and Progress.
ARTICLE 3: AIMS AND OBJECTIVES.
- To serve as avenue for discussing academic issues for human development
- To promote intellectual development and academic excellence among members.
- To create an avenue for bringing together scholars in the fields of Religious Education and allied disciplines
- To advance the frontier of knowledge
- To generate fund to prosecute its activities as a non – profit sharing organization.
ARTICLE 4: MEMBERSHIP
- There shall be three (3) categories of Membership:
- Full Membership: This shall be open to any individual, male or female, interested in academic pursuits and discussions, who meets the admissions as may be specified. Full membership shall be open to holders of University first degree or equivalent, Priests, Pastors in the Churches, Imams and Traditionalists.
- Associate Membership: This shall be open to students in Tertiary Education Institutions or Professional bodies and holders of Nigeria Certificate in Education and Diploma.
- Fellowship: The forum shall confer its fellowship on any person nominated by a full member and accepted by at least 2/3 full members
- Admission of New Members
- A prospective member shall be admitted during the Association’s Annual Conference Registration.
ARTICLE 5: ORGANS OF THE ASSOCIATION
- General House
- The general house shall consist of all full members with other members in attendance.
- It shall be the supreme organ in which all others are responsible.
- It shall have the power to create committees, elects/ appoints officers and take any other decisions it deems fit for the achievement of the Association’s objectives.
- It shall have the final say on matters of discipline
- It shall oversee the affairs of all the committees
- Executive Committee: This shall consist of the following offices:
- Vice President
- General Secretary
- Assistant General Secretary
- Financial Secretary
- Public Relations Officer
- Editors (2)
- Ex – Officio Members (2)
- Functions of Executive Committee:
- To draw up annual calendar of events for the Association
- It shall be responsible for the detail execution of annual events as approved by the General House.
- It shall represent the interest of the Association at both local and international levels.
- It shall carry out any other functions as referred to by the General House.
- It shall be responsible to the General House.
- Functions of the Officers:
- He shall preside over the general and executive meetings of the Association.
- He shall be the Coordinator of all activities of the Association
- He shall be responsible for proper conduct of meetings and gatherings of members.
Vice President (3)
- They shall assume the responsibilities of the President in his absence
- They shall assist the President in any other duty identified by the President.
- He shall convene any meeting of the Association in consultation with the President.
- He shall take down the minutes of any meeting of the Association
- He shall take care of all correspondence of the Association and refer such to the appropriate quarters for necessary actions.
- He shall undertake any other relevant assignments given to him by the Association.
Assistant General Secretary
- He shall assume all responsibilities of the General Secretary in his absence
- He shall assist the General Secretary in any other duty identified by the General Secretary
- He shall deposit all the Association’s money in the bank approved by the members within a week of collection
- He shall keep an auditable interest account of not more than Three Thousand Naira (#3000.00) per period.
- He shall collect all dues, contributions and special levies from members as at when due and shall keep accurate records of the monies.
- He shall make payment for any purpose only with the consent or approval of the President.
Public Relations Officer
- He shall project the image of the NASRED
- He shall perform any other duties assigned to him by the President.
- He shall be responsible to the NASRED.
- He shall coordinate all publications of the NASRED
- He shall keep all records in connection with any publication of the NASRED
- He shall coordinate all the activities of the Editors
- He shall perform any other duties as may be assigned by the NASRED
- He shall be the Chairman of Publication Committee
This shall consist of three (3) members. Members of the Committee shall include the Vice President, as Chairman and two other persons, elected by the General House.
The Committee shall screen candidates for the three categories of membership and make its recommendations available to the house through its Executive Committee.
This shall consist of the Director of Publication, all Editors, Circulation Manager and two other members elected by the House.
- To draw up Editorial Guidelines for the consideration of the General House.
- To recommend the publication to be published by the NASRED.
- To solicit and collect papers for presentation at Seminars, Workshops, Conference etc. and materials for publication in journals, books etc.
- To publish other materials for dissemination of information
- To circulate all NASRED publications
Adhoc – Committee
Any other Committee shall be set up to execute certain programme or project of the NASRED as the need arises. Membership of such committee(s) shall be nominated by the Executive Committee or the General House.
ARTICLE 6: FINANCE
- Registration Fee: All participants shall register with the Association’s stipulated Annual Conference Registration.
- Publication Fee: The NASRED reserves the right to impose on the members levies as may be deemed necessary for meeting Publications and Development projects. Such levies shall however be approved by the General House.
- Savings and Deposits: Any money collected shall be handed over to the Treasurer who will then pay to a bank approved by the Executives Committee within a week from the date of collection
- Withdrawals: The signatories to the NASRED account shall be the President, General Secretary and the Treasurer. Any 2 of the 3 signatories can sign for withdrawal which must have been approved by the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE 7: ELECTIONS
- There shall be an ad-hoc Electoral Committee of 3 members
- Members of Electoral Committee can exercise their voting rights but cannot contest elections
- The contestants must have been members of the NASRED for a period of (6) six calendar months and must have been presented to the NASRED at the General Meeting preceding the election meeting
- Contestants must have paid in full their total dues and must have attended two-third of the monthly meetings of the year
- Nomination for any post shall be by a financial member of the NASRED
- Voting shall be by open ballot
ARTICLE 8: TENURE OF OFFICE
- Elected Officers shall hold office for forty – eight months (that is four years of one term) after which Executive Committee shall stand dissolved.
- Elected officers shall be expected to submit reports to the NASRED at the expiration of their tenure of office
- A member shall not hold the same post for more than two (2) consecutive terms.
ARTICLE 9: DISCIPLINE
- A vote of no confidence shall be passed on any or all the Executive member(s) who fail(s) to discharge his or, their responsibility(ies) within the framework of the constitution or until the following conditions are met:
- A vote of no confidence is moved by a member
- Such a motion is seconded
- In a General Meeting, two – third majority of members present are in support of the motion
- The NASRED can expel any member found of any serious criminal offence. An expelled member shall forfeit his financial contributions to the NASRED.
- Any member who cannot cope with the financial obligations of the NASRED shall be advised to resign his membership of the Association.
ARTICLE 10: QUORUM
At least (10) members shall form a quorum at any General Meeting of the NASRED.
ARTICLE 11: RESIGNATION
- Any member willing to resign his membership from the NASRED shall give at least 3month notice when he would be requested to submit all NASRED property in his care.
- All the financial contributions to the NASRED by the members shall be forfeited.
- A resignee asking for re – admission may be re – admitted provided he satisfied all the conditions for new membership.
ARTICLE 12: AMENDMENTS
This constitution can be amended in whole or in parts if a motion for such is adopted by at least two- third of the members present at a General Meeting. When the amendment affects more than an article, such amendment shall be referred to an ad-hoc Constitutional Drafting Committee
OATH OF OFFICE
I ………………………………………………………………. do solemnly swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the NASRED.
That as ………………………………………………….of the NASRED, I will discharge my duties and perform my functions honestly to the best of my ability and faithfully in accordance with the constitution of the NASRED, that I will act always in the interest, well – being, prosperity and progress of the NASRED.
SO HELP ME GOD.